Sheryl Rosen

Default Refrigeration question -- Apple Crisp

in article , stace at wrote
on 10/15/03 9:00 PM:

> "Bob Travis" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> Please let me know if this is not the right newsgroup for this question.
>>
>> My mother-in-law says that due to the high sugar content an apple crisp
>> dessert does not need to be refrigerated for the first day after cooking.
>> She says that if she made it just after breakfast and serves it just after
>> supper it will be safe to eat that evening and it needn't be refrigerated
>> until after it is served after supper.

> Bob, I can't give you a scientific answer, but it's basically apple pie, but
> constructed differently.
> Very few people in my experience refrigerate apple pie.
> I can say without doubt that a day without refrigeration won't kill you.
>
> Stace

once it's cut into, it requires refrigeration.

I would leave it on the counter for the few hours between baking and
serving, and not worry about refrigeration until after it's cut into.

I think chilling it would change the texture too much. And it would taste
better at room temp, anyway.

I think what is done in a restaurant, because there is liability involved,
and because you are serving the public, is overly cautious, and necessarily
so. In a restaurant kitchen, better to err on the side of over-cautious.
However, I think people today are bacteria-phobic, and to the detriment of
their immune systems. Your body is equipped to fight off germs. Immune
systems are like muscles, making them work makes them stronger! If you
don't allow yourself to be exposed to germs, your body won't know how to
fight them when it gets exposed accidentally.

I'm not saying to take chances and eat that tuna sandwich that's been
sitting out on the counter for 2 days, that's just crazy. Common sense needs
to prevail.

but sanitizing everything in your path is one sure way to make sure you get
sick at the slightest exposure.

That's a huge reason why I am against the proliferation of "anti-bacterial"
dishwashing detergent, cleaning solutions (such as Fantastik), hand soap,
etc. Washing your hands in hot soapy water will kill most of the harmful
bacteria on your hands. Using those antibacterial soaps not only kills off
what the regular soap misses, it also kills off the beneficial bacteria on
your skin.