George Shirley

Default Jam crisis--inversion method stinks!

Christine wrote:
>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> <snip>
>
>>Out of curiosity I checked the SJ web site -- in their full instructions
>>there, they use a boiling water bath to process the jams after sealing.
>>The inversion method for sealing is mentioned in a separate link and
>>clearly as an aside. Are they still recommending the inversion method
>>as a first choice on paper?

> No, it's not the first choice, but it's listed below as a second option--and
> that was in the low-sugar package.
>
> <snip>
>
>>I hope you'll ring them up and tell them of your experience.

> Oh yes! This crisis cost me an emergency trip to the store for more pectin,
> lids, and propane--as well as another six hours in the kitchen reprocessing.
> I had made about 28 cups of raspberry jam the day before using the inversion
> method and those were reprocessed as well. The extension office said those
> would be safe if reprocessed as they were less than 24 hours old.
>
> <snip>
>
>>OK. One can hardly argue that the inversion is not a simpler thing to
>>do at the outset -- but look at what it got YOU: Mold in your product,
>>anxiety and angst, and a re-do that will probably render your jam safe
>>for your consumption.
>>
>>None of which you'd have if the jars had been processed properly in the
>>first place. Which method ends up to have taken more of your time?

> Well, I will return to processing my jams in a WB in the future. I was glad
> I found the mold right away--I'd have been really ticked if I discovered the
> icky jam in the fall when it would have been completely ruined.
>

>>I've never thought the argument about waterbath processing being so hot
>>held a lot of water -- certainly not for processing sweet spreads. If
>>the pot's already been boiling for 10 minutes, what's another 5 or 10
>>minutes with filled jars?

> Well, my strawberry jam was *perfect* when I used the inversion method. It
> did loose a little flavor once reprocessed, but after all that secondary
> cooking I'd expect it to. The raspberry was just as wonderful after the
> second processing, so I don't think the waterbath processing negatively
> affected my jams.
>
> The red pepper jelly sounds wonderful. What do you use it for? I can see
> it poured over a small block of cream cheese and used as a dip.
>
> Christine

Pepper jellies, mild or hot, are excellent on pork, either as a glaze
during cooking or with the cooked pork. I've also used it on chicken but
didn't like it on beef. The cream cheese dip is an old idea that works
well too. I've got some half pints in the pantry that I put up last year
that are almost too hot to eat for us old fogies.

George