George Shirley

Default Jam crisis--inversion method stinks!

zxcvbob wrote:
> Christine wrote:
>
>> We have a glass topped range, so the extension office says I shouldn't
>> use
>> it for my water bath canners. So I purchased a type of outside cook
>> stove/burner that runs off propane which is (again according to the
>> extension office) a good choice. Last year my girlfriends were teasing me
>> suggesting I just try the 'inversion method' listed in the sure-jell
>> pectin
>> recipes.
>>
>> Two weeks ago I made several batches of strawberry jam. Rather than
>> haul my
>> jams outside to boil them in the driveway, I admit I was lazy and
>> decided to
>> try the 'inversion method' listed in the pectin recipe. Well, ten days
>> later I found little bits of mold in the headspace of twelve jars of
>> low-sugar strawberry jam. The jars and lids were sterilized, the jam was
>> boiled properly, and all the jars were sealed correctly. Three days
>> before
>> I found the moldy jam, I had made more strawberry jam, using the
>> inversion
>> method which seemed fine, but again it was only 3 days old. The spots of
>> mold were only on the surface, and most of them were little bits less
>> than
>> 1/4 inch in size.
>>
>> I now realize that:
>>
>> 1. The inversion method stinks
>> 2. Low sugar and the inversion method is an especially bad combination.
>>
>> I promise to never do it again, so please be kind in your responses.
>>
>> The problem is this--there were 24 jars of perfect jam without
>> mold--most of
>> which was only 3 days old. They were sealed and had no signs of trouble
>> when opened. I emptied them into a stock pot in batches of 8 cups, added
>> some pectin and reboiled and then processed in a water bath (for 15
>> minutes
>> instead of the suggested 10). At the risk of the food police breaking
>> into
>> my pantry and running off with my jams, how bad of an idea was this? Is
>> this safe?
>>
>> If I emptied out the top half of the moldy jam (it was only 10 days
>> old) and
>> reboiled and processed the bottom half of the jam, is having that on an
>> English muffin considered living on the edge?
>>
>> I know people used to scrape off and eat moldy jam, but the extension
>> office
>> recommended I throw away every jar--even the ones with no signs of
>> trouble,
>> and even the three day old jam--just to be 'safe.' Of course, she also
>> sounded like the type that actually sterilized her children's binkies
>> so I
>> am not sure what to think.
>>
>> Can I get your thoughts?
>>
>> Thank you so much, and, as God as my witness, I will never inversion
>> again!

> [...]

Wait a minnit! Your post is time stamped 8:34 am and you haven't gone to
work yet, what are you, a banker? By 8:34 CDST I had gone to work,
stopped by Mickey Dee's and ate breakfast with the ROMEO's (Retired Old
Men Eating Out) and had gone home and had a short nap. Boy, you must
have a nice job, no wonder you have time to can stuff. <BSEG>

George