Kacey Barriss

Default Tomato Sauce- do you mean the Aussie kind or the American kind?

Well, Mike, I gave up trying to figure out what "tomato sauce" means as
applied to so many different countries and cultures. I know what it
means to me so I just read the labels (if I actually have to buy the
stuff) until I find the one I want.

When I was learning to can, etc. tomato sauce was simply plain ripe
tomatoes put through the strainer (a Squeezo, IIRC) and simply simmered
to the desired thickness. Occ. a touch of salt was added, but nothing
else. It was then modified with seasoning, etc. at the time of use for
whatever we were cooking.

Definitely is interesting, though, to see such a basic product refered
to in so many different styles. Sort of the same thing with "ketchup,
catsup, etc." When it's made with grapes, or carrots, or other fruits
it was still called a "ketchup" 60 - 70 years ago. Now days, its
usually referred to as a sauce.

Language is definitely an interesting aspect of food history.

Kacey

--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.