Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally Kate Connally is offline

Default Rancid Cooking Oil???

stark wrote:

> Are there degrees of rancidity? Is a rancid oil really rancid or just
> stale? My wife has infinite degrees of olfactory sensitivity (I can't
> get away with anything). She's always declaring my cooking oils
> stale, almost stale, very stale. My canola oil has no scent; my peanut
> oil, a slight hint which she would probably call stale. My grapeseed
> oil is a little stronger than my peanut oil--not a bad scent, just
> kinda there. Okay smell is very subjective; mine is barely jective.
> But is a "bad" or rancid oil really bad? Do it make you want to slap
> yo mamma?

I've never heard of "stale" oil, although I would
imagine if that were a possible condition of oil it
would mean the oil was less flavorful and flatter tasting
than "fresh" oil.

Rancid oil is oil that has a nasty bitter taste.
I don't think you can smell it unless it is very
rancid. I know I have never been able to "smell"
rancidty. If I'm a little suspicious of the oil I
usually take a taste to check it out. In the
distant past I would try smell the oil and it would
smell fine but then I would cook with it and the
food would taste of rancid oil. Blecch!

Kate

--
Kate Connally