Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default Food mill -- need recommendations

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Anny, I think you can get your raspberry pretty seedless with a "berry
> screen" for the tomato press -- if your tomato press is like mine -- a
> hopper feeder. Small holes. Or else a fine/small-holed chinoise. I
> don't think a "regular" (whatever that is) food mill will do it. You'll
> want pretty small holes.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

I don't think I can get any other screens for my tomato press -- I have a
fairly inexpensive one I got on Ebay a few years ago, and the screen is not
removeable. I know the holes in the screen are too large to filter out
raspberry seeds.

The chinoise is a good idea, but it's too labor-intensive. I liked the idea
of an attachment for my KitchenAid that could do the job for me so I could
avoid almost all the work, but the one they make apparently won't handle
raspberry seeds.

BTW -- if I process the raspberries to make them seedless, will the spread
made from the seedless puree still be technically called a jam?

Anny