Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg ellen wickberg is offline

Default Food mill -- need recommendations

Anny Middon wrote:
> I'd like to buy a food mill. Well, I think that's what I want to buy. I
> have a food processor and a tomato press already -- what I really want is
> something that will get the seeds out of raspberries so I can make seedless
> jam. And seedless coulis. Seedless raspberry whatever. Ideally I could
> use it to make seedless strawberry whatever, too.
>
> Is a food mill what I want? If so, what brand should I buy? There's a big
> range in prices -- I've seen them as cheap as $15-20, and as expesnive as
> $60-70. I want a good one, but I don't want to get spend more than I have
> to.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anny

Probably a food mill will not take the seeds out of raspberries, but a
plain old fine strainer ( of the plastic variety) and a round bottomed
anything ( ladle, sockdarner, etc)to rub it through will work.. That
said, a food mill will do many other things ( make smooth apple sauce
without peeling the apples, etc.) Any one will work, though the large
italian tin ones are terrible to take apart and put back together
whereas the cheap plastic ones ( with metal plates and stirrer) are easy
to use. In the U.S. ( but not my part of Canada) , the one piece food
mill with removeable handle-bottom scraper is still available I think.
Ellen