Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Food mill -- need recommendations

In article > ,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> I'd like to buy a food mill. Well, I think that's what I want to buy. I
> have a food processor and a tomato press already -- what I really want is
> something that will get the seeds out of raspberries so I can make seedless
> jam. And seedless coulis. Seedless raspberry whatever. Ideally I could
> use it to make seedless strawberry whatever, too.
>
> Is a food mill what I want? If so, what brand should I buy? There's a big
> range in prices -- I've seen them as cheap as $15-20, and as expesnive as
> $60-70. I want a good one, but I don't want to get spend more than I have
> to.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anny

Anny, I think you can get your raspberry pretty seedless with a "berry
screen" for the tomato press -- if your tomato press is like mine -- a
hopper feeder. Small holes. Or else a fine/small-holed chinoise. I
don't think a "regular" (whatever that is) food mill will do it. You'll
want pretty small holes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

jamlady.eboard.com