jacqui{JB}

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

[non-food groups removed -- to the OP, please don't cross-post into
unrelated groups and, indeed, try to keep cross-posting to a minimum]

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> > Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make
> > caramel or Dulce De Leche? And tips on how
> > to store it in jars or cans?

> The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put
> an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk into
> a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4 the
> way up the can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about
> an hour. Let cool completely before opening. You
> can turn the can over after 30 minutes. Store in a jar
> or plastic container. It should keep for a couple of
> weeks in the refrigerator, maybe more

I have to say that boiling unopened cans is way past my personal risk
threshold. No criticism of those who do it; just a different point of
view.

You can also take the long way around and make dulce de leche from
scratch. Following are a couple of recipes that entered my collection
in 2001, from rec.food.recipes, posted by linda/tennessee.
-j

***
Dulce de Leche
Makes 1.75 pounds
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
"This is a typical sweet from Argentina. You can eat it alone, use it
to fill cakes, or serve over bananas, ice-cream or any other dessert!"

1 gallon milk
1 vanilla bean
4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat.
Remove from heat and strain through cheesecloth. Return to pan. Cut
vanilla bean in half and pour the seeds in the milk. Stir in the sugar
and replace the pan on medium heat, stirring constantly until the
sugar is dissolved. Just as the milk mixture begins to boil, stir in
the baking soda. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring
frequently, until mixture thickens. When a wooden spoon drawn through
the mixture leaves the bottom of the pan visible, and the mixture is
light brown in color, remove the pan from the heat. Place the pan in
an ice bath and stir constantly until dulce de leche is cold. Store
in airtight container in refrigerator.
Makes 1.75 pounds

Dulce de Leche
This recipe is adapted from an article which appeared in the daily New
York Times. Dulce de leche (pronounced DOOL-say duh LAY-chay) meaning
"sweet from milk." Is an Hispanic term for a caramel sauce, which is a
traditional flavoring "south of the border" and has been adopted
recently as an ice-cream flavoring in America. The flavoring is made
by simmering sweetened milk until it turns thick and amber. Reprinted
here are a recipe for the basic sauce as well as two recipes using
this flavoring.

1 quart whole milk
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch cinnamon.

Combine ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat
and cook without stirring until mixture boils, 15 to 20 minutes.
Briefly remove from heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring
frequently with a wooden spoon,
45 minutes to one hour. When mixture becomes a caramel color and is
thick enough that you can see the bottom of the pan as you stir,
remove it from heat. Use at room temperature or cover and refrigerate.
Yield: 2 cups.