Posted to rec.food.cooking
PeterLucas[_3_] PeterLucas[_3_] is offline

Default Hard-boiled eggs - how do you tell if they're bad

"Mike S." > wrote in news:1176867920.617358.178230
@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> How do you tell if a hard-boiled egg is bad?
>
> I fixed some on April 7 and dyed them the next day. I went to eat one
> yesterday and part of the yolk was gray. About half the yolk was
> yellow and the other half was completely gray. I've read that the gray
> is a sign that it was overcooked and it's harmless to eat. However,
> I've never seen one this gray before and I've been fixing hard-boiled
> eggs the same way for years. None of the other eggs I fixed were this
> gray. Also, it smelled really bad. It didn't smell rotten, just bad.
> I figured if it smelled this bad, it probably tastes bad too. So I
> didn't eat it.
>
> Would it have been ok to eat?

If they were stored in the fridge, it would have been OK.

Or even mash it up, add a bit of mayo and a dash of curry powder for
curried egg sandwiches.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell