Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis Nexis is offline

Default getting chocolate to harden

"cathy" > wrote in message
> My brother made macaroons yesterday and wanted to dip them into
> chocolate so he melted some chocolate chips and dipped them into that,
> but of course the chocolate stayed soft. What do you need to do to
> melted chocolate so that it'll harden like a shell after you dip a
> cookie into it?
>
> Cathy

Use chocolate, not chocolate chips. If you heat it above 98*, you'll need to temper
it, which is easy enough for something like this, where it's not important that it be
terribly shiny and crisp. Just chop all the chocolate, melt 2/3 of it, then stir in
the remaining until smooth and melted. Dip, and let set at room temp (provided it
isn't mid-July and 106*f outside!). If your room is very warm, you can stick them in
the fridge until set.

kimberly