Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default getting chocolate to harden

cathy wrote:

> My brother made macaroons yesterday and wanted to dip them into
> chocolate so he melted some chocolate chips and dipped them into that,
> but of course the chocolate stayed soft. What do you need to do to
> melted chocolate so that it'll harden like a shell after you dip a
> cookie into it?

If you melt chocolate chips gently enough that they return to their
original state without degrading the texture, the best you are going to get
it something the texture of chocolate chips. If you want something with
more of a shell texture you have to add some paraffin. I have never done it
myself but my mother makes macaroons and dip them in chocolate. They are a
seasonal treat.