Jordan Zimmer

Default HELP! Stove Keeps Flashing and Beeping "F1"

Thank-you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it. I'm afraid
that Brad is right... I left the stove unplugged all night, tried plugging
it back it today, and now it's worse than ever! Not only did the beeping
come back, but the entire display is now totally messed up, showing random
characters and flashing rapidly off and on. Sounds like the controller is
fried... I'm calling a repair man tomorrow. Brad, to answer your question,
I think the stove is about three years old. It was here when we moved in
two years ago, and this house was built three years ago, so I'm assuming
that the range was installed when the house was built. Anyway, I'm going to
see how much the estimate will be to replace the controller. If it's too
much, we might just go out and buy a new one. There's little sense into
sinking over $300-plus labor- for an appliance that's already reached its
mid-life! Thanks again, and I'll keep you all updated.

Jordan

"Brad" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi Jordan. I hate to say it, but Vox is correct. Your oven controller,
> what my father refers to as the "ERC" (electronic range control), is
> defective and must be replaced. The repair bill might shock you too! Do
> you know approximately how old the range is? My dad services and repairs
> major appliances. He is authorized by most of the major manufacturers to
> carry out the warranty work too. He personally has replaced more ERC's

than
> he cares to admit. As a matter of fact, I remember him saying that almost
> 80% of his service calls for ranges involve the ERC. (The F1 fault code

your
> stove is displaying) Most only last for about 3-5 years and basically

burn
> out. The repair bill typically runs from around $250-400, depending on the
> design. Unlike standard dial controls, which can be repaired, electronic
> controls must be ENTIRELY replaced. Most are hermetically sealed and
> opening them up will destroy the casing, so it's pointless.

Unfortunately,
> everything seems to be going electronic in the home appliance department.
> Hope this helps you out somewhat... Good luck, and let us know how things
> turn out!
>

> "Jordan Zimmer" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Hello to all. I'm fairly new around here, so please bear with me. We

> own
> > a Frigidaire smoothtop range model #GLEF396. At approximately 10 PM

last
> > night, we heard this continuous beeping noise coming from the kitchen.

> Upon
> > closer examination, we noticed that the clock/timer display on the stove

> was
> > flashing "F1". We tried unplugging the stove, resetting the clock, but
> > nothing worked. It's still doing it, and is starting to drive us a

little