mocha

Default Any good electric carving knives?

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "TOM KAN PA" > wrote in message
> > Many years ago we had one. Big, heavy, hard to clean, didn't do that

great
> of a
> > job.
> > Now I hear they've greatly improved them.
> > Any ideas??
> >

> I cannot answer your question, but unless a person has arthritis or some
> other disability that makes use of a regular knife difficult, what need is
> there for an electric knife?
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

I actually have an electric carving knife made by Toastmaster for $10 on
sale. They're certainly not heavy, the only thing being that they're pretty
loud during use. The 2 serrated blades pop out like a hand held blender
wisks for easy cleanup. I'm fairly young, less than 30, and don't have
arthritis, but I've used the knife on several occasions, mainly carving up a
turkey/ham, or bread. Since the knife acts as a reciprocating saw, all you
have to do is concentrate on the downward pressure. This relieves you from
having to move the knife in 2 different planes, making your cuts much more
precise and efficient. In other words, your slices can be much thinner and
straight. They are especially useful for cutting bread, since you won't be
mashing the bread in the process. Alton Brown on Good Eats uses his fairly
frequently, and I've followed his lead. Well worth the investement.

JP