Bob Myers

Default Parchment Paper

"Karen Wheless" > wrote in message
om...
> Maybe this is a silly question, but is there a good way to get parchment
> paper (off a roll) to lie flat? I have to bake a lot of cookies, and I
> like to line my pans with parchment paper. But the parchment paper
> continually rolls up at the edges, and means I have to push down the
> paper constantly when I'm trying to drop my cookies. It's minor, but
> it's annoying.

You can try a few tricks - for instance, get the paper off the roll a
bit BEFORE you start baking, and slide it under the pans and let
it lay there for a while. If you're using it often, you can even store
pre-cut-to-length sheets (that you cut from the roll, to match your
pans) in a convenient place, possibly in a large envelope and maybe
even wherever you keep the pans themselves (i.e., put the paper
between a couple of pans). For a more immediate fix, put the paper
in the pan so that it curls DOWN (i.e., it wants to curl UNDER itself
from the ends, and plop your first couple of cookies down at either
end.

> And is there a brand of parchment paper that comes off the roll more
> easily? The only kind readily available here is by Reynolds, and the
> roll is a pain to deal with - every time you pull on the edge, the whole
> roll pulls out of the package. I'd be willing to search for or order a
> different brand if it was easier to work with.

I got my last couple of rolls as part of an order to Chef's Catalog -
I don't recall the brand (if in fact it had one other than Chef's), but
it seems to be pretty well-behaved.

Bob M.