Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default how long do dried chiles last?

timbrel wrote:

> Maybe this is silly, but in re-arranging my pantry I find dried
> chipotles, other dried chiles, and sun-dried tomatoes. They are old I
> know, but they look--please don't laugh--lifeless. The dried
> mushrooms, that may or may not be as old, still look good. Is there an
> expiration date? I hate to through them out if they can still be used,
> I'm sure I paid a fortune for them at some specialty store. Any ideas
> would be appreciated.

I have a plastic container of dried chile flakes, about equivalent to a 14
oz can. It was half as much for that big jar as it was for one of those
tiny spice jar size bottles, so it seemed like a good deal. I use a pinch
of chillies on a dish about once a week. I t is about half empty now, and
I have had it for at least 15 years. Those chilli flakes are still hot.