Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default how long do dried chiles last?

timbrel > wrote:

>Maybe this is silly, but in re-arranging my pantry I find dried
>chipotles, other dried chiles, and sun-dried tomatoes. They are old I
>know, but they look--please don't laugh--lifeless. The dried
>mushrooms, that may or may not be as old, still look good. Is there an
>expiration date?

I've probably used dried New Mexico chilis that were two years
old. Since they are only produced for a few months each autumn,
it's pretty routine that people use them up to say 10 months old.
The flavor is best in the first few months, in my experience.

Dunno about the tomatoes or mushrooms though.

Steve