Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Frozen Lima Beans

On Mar 3, 7:37�am, "James" > wrote:
> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. *I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. *Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?

Lima beans are slightly more expensive than some other beans because
their pods contain slightly fewer beans on average than say pinto
beans... that said dried limas don't cost more than most dried beans.
Fresh frozen limas are expensive but so would any fresh frozen bean be
just as expensive, which is why therre is a very limited selection of
fresh frozen beans. Beans being high in protein they are more apt to
freezer burn than other frozen veggies... and frozen limas are not
very popular anyway so they don't sell well and so they spoil, and so
those who buy them pay for the waste. If price is a concern then use
dried... all canned beans are made from dried. And butter bean is
just another name for lima bean. But lima beans and baby lima beans
are indeed different beans.

Sheldon