Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Shawn Hirn Shawn Hirn is offline

Default Frozen Lima Beans

In article . com>,
"James" > wrote:

> This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
> pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
> Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
> my regular row of string beans.
>
> Are they hard to grow?
>
> What are some easy recipes?

My dad makes his own lima bean, rice, and tomato stew that he serves
fairly frequently as a side dish when I visit my parents for dinner. My
dad takes whole tomatoes from his garden or store bought, cuts them up
and slowly simmers them in a big pot of water with some spices until he
gets a sauce, then he adds canned lima beans, white rice, and some other
vegies, simmers the mixture more. The result is a vegetable stew that he
really enjoys. I am not a big lima bean fan so I seldom eat any of it,
but my folks enjoy it a lot and its very easy, but time consuming to
slowly simmer the stew.