Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Vanilla substitute?

On Mar 2, 3:33�pm, "brushfire" > wrote:
> Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say, a
> brownie recipe? *I love the smell of almonds, so want to try it. *If it is
> OK, would it be an equal sub, that is 1 tsp = 1 tsp?

For chocolate brownies you really don't need vanilla extract... 99% of
folks would not realize the vanilla extract is missing from anything
chocolate unless you told them... in fact I would prefer it was
omitted. Add a little extra cocoa if you desire, everyone desires
extra chawklit.

Almond extract is not good with chocolate either. Add a shot of
cointreau if you must... don't have cointreau add a couple spoons
frozen orange juice concentrate... a couple spoons orange marmalade
will work too... mandarin chawklit is great. Um, I'll have my
chawklit brownie topped with nilla ice cream though, and a couple
candied kumquats. I love that word, love how it rolls off my
tongue... kum-quats. LOL

Sheldon