Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown King's Crown is offline

Default Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves it.
To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone
had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my
MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I never
got to do any cooking with her. Lynne

Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Marinade
1/2 pound medium-hot red chiles, seeded and stemmed
1 tsp salt
4 tablespoons paprika, sweet or hot depending on preference
10 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup red wine

Place the chiles and salt in the bowl of food processor fitted with a metal
blade and pulse until minced. In a large bowl, combine the minced chiles
with the remaining marinade ingredients. Add the pork pieces, turning to
coat well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 1
hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F (160°C)
and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.

Serves 6 to 8