Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Oops, I left a pot of tomato sauce out all night

Mark Thorazine wrote:
> Peter A wrote:
>
> > Complete claptrap. What part of "sterile" do you not understand?

> It's not sterile. *As the pot cooled, the contraction
> of the air inside the pot would have drawn in
> unsterilized room air containing bacterial spores.

Boiling at average atmospheric pressure (~212deg. F.) does not
sterilize anyway, but certainly reduces bacteria enough to make sauce
food safe for at least 24 hours, probably a lot longer... undisturbed
the sauce in question will be fine for two days... nothing, absolutely
nothing we eat is sterile. What's truly sterile around here is
Thorazine's pea brain.

Sheldon