Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen AKA Kajikit Karen AKA Kajikit is offline

Default Oops, I left a pot of tomato sauce out all night

On 28 Feb 2007 15:04:24 -0800, "levelwave" >
wrote:

>I cooked up a big pot of tomato sauce last night for my dinner
>tonight... well, I woke up this morning and realized I had left it on
>the stove all night (covered - off the heat). It stayed out about 8
>hours and the pot was room temp by the time I woke up this morning...
>I placed the pot back in the fridge before heading off to work. If I
>boil it when I get home will it still be ok to eat?

If it was a meatfree sauce it should be fine. Tomato's very acidic and
acid helps to retard germ growth - there's a reason why you don't need
to refrigerate vinegar! But if it was a bolegnaise I'd say all bets
are off...