Gini

Default best high-end refrigerator?

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On 31 Dec 2003 21:03:40 -0800, (angelarenae)
> wrote:
>
> >I'm getting ready to do a major kitchen remodel and have some
> >questions about refrigerators. I was all set to order the Sub-Zero
> >650 Over-Under (freezer is a drawer beneath the fridge), when a friend
> >of mine told me that Sub-Zeros in general are overrated and are
> >outperformed by several other (cheaper) brands, e.g. KitchenAid and
> >Viking.
> >
> >Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the various high-end
> >non-commercial units? I am most curious about this - needless to say,
> >I'm hesitant about spending $6k (or more) on a refrigerator that I may
> >not be totally happy with...!
> >
> >Thanks,
> >~a

> Howdy,
>
> I know nothing about the Sub-Zero from first hand experience...
>
> When we built our new home (about two years ago) I assumed that we
> would go the SZ direction. Eventually, we got a Whirlpool from Sears.
> Stainless front, "built-in" look, flawless performance, and a small
> fraction of the SZ price. We are very happy with our decision.
>
> I will add that we were not averse to spending significant bucks for
> appliances that really offered us something that we valued. For
> example, we put in a Bongard deck oven in support of my bread baking
> interests (oh, ok, obsession). But in the case of a fridge, we just
> could not see the advantage of the super expensive versions that are
> out there. This is not to suggest that the differences don't exist. It
> is merely to say that we could not find 'em.

==
I agree. We were in a similar situation when replacing our appliances. I did
not object to paying top dollar for good equipment. It just turned out,
after
researching, researching and more researching that the best appliances were
*not*
the ones considered high end. They were simply too fickle and trouble prone.
There
was simply no way to justify the cost and my family is too large to go weeks
waiting
on repairs/parts. I bought a $1500. Jenn-Air fridge with fantastic features
not found in pricier
units and it has worked flawlessly (so far). I went with a Kenmore Elite
high powered SS smoothtop with convection
oven, warming drawer and variable heat warmer/simmer 5th burner (cost
1200.), and a Bosch dishwasher (which had features the lower end units did
not have). Cost (900. on sale) justified. I need appliances that work hard
and perform well--day in and day out, without fail. It's been 16-24 months
since all have been replaced. I still have no regrets.
==