Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

Default What do with the carrot pulp (or ny other pulp) after juicing?

On Feb 26, 5:18 am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Kili wrote:
> >> Is there anything I can use it in instead of throwing it away? Since
> >> my juicer is not top notch, the pulp is not too dry.

> > Can you use it in carrot cake?

> I think carrot cake gets some of its moisture and sweetness from the juice
> that seeps out of the carrots. In this case, the juice is mostly gone, so
> I'd expect the cake to be extremely dry unless you added some extra liquid.
>
> The carrot pulp might be okay in scones, which are already pretty dry. It
> might be an interesting addition to pancake or waffle batter. It could be
> stirred into mashed potatoes. (*snicker* You could trick someone into
> thinking they were getting mashed sweet potatoes!) You could add it to
> baked beans or hummus. It could add thickness and some flavor to a salad
> dressing, a soup, a sauce, or gravy. For that matter, you could simply cook
> it in chicken stock, ham stock, or V-8 and call it soup, or you could make a
> dip by mixing it with sour cream, cream cheese, puréed roasted peppers, and
> sun-dried tomatoes.

Soup sounds good for me; trying to stick to extremely healthy eating -
I am in strength training using weigth. I'll have only a small amount
of pulp at a time and so I can eat those fiber via soup.