Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default What do with the carrot pulp (or ny other pulp) after juicing?

Kili wrote:

>> Is there anything I can use it in instead of throwing it away? Since
>> my juicer is not top notch, the pulp is not too dry.

> Can you use it in carrot cake?

I think carrot cake gets some of its moisture and sweetness from the juice
that seeps out of the carrots. In this case, the juice is mostly gone, so
I'd expect the cake to be extremely dry unless you added some extra liquid.

The carrot pulp might be okay in scones, which are already pretty dry. It
might be an interesting addition to pancake or waffle batter. It could be
stirred into mashed potatoes. (*snicker* You could trick someone into
thinking they were getting mashed sweet potatoes!) You could add it to
baked beans or hummus. It could add thickness and some flavor to a salad
dressing, a soup, a sauce, or gravy. For that matter, you could simply cook
it in chicken stock, ham stock, or V-8 and call it soup, or you could make a
dip by mixing it with sour cream, cream cheese, puréed roasted peppers, and
sun-dried tomatoes.

Bob