Default how to sharpen mini dike-cutters, nipper-cutters?

> > how to sharpen the mini dike cutters and nipper cutters used in
> > electrical & electronic work?
> >
> > They're too small to handle with jigs, and the blades don't even
> > open very widely. Yet, their utility is directly proportional
> > to how recently they've been sharpened/honed.

> Unlike scissors, the effectiveness of these cutters require a
> mashing action between two wedges that are perfectly parallel and
> precisely aligned with each other. If there are gaps, nicks, or
> misalignment they will not cut cleanly...

Yep!

> and you might as well throw them away.

Huh? :/ The handles might get a little closer together but just
about any of them can be fixed up. I use small, thin #4 files
(7/16" wide, 6" long and about 1/16" thick). Nobody I've known
calls them needle files they are wider then needle files. I've
found needle files are too narrow for this job.

My favorite "improvement" is to grind the crap out of the "round
face" and make the cutting edges close to the new surface.
Sometimes like for cutting pin material for knife work the round
face and edges are very close, too close for other work. But still
almost all dikes get that treatment at least somewhen they pass
through my hands.

See? I fix up more old junk than just broken pocket knives.

> I've never known anyone to sharpen them. Removing material will
> only make the gaps bigger. I don't think they can be sharpened.
> Don

Don, if you said "I don't think I can sharpen dikes" then I could
agree with you on that one. Otherwise, nope. :/

Out of over two dozen sets of dikes I've owned over the years (give
most of them away) only a couple were bought by me brand new. They
can be had (good name brands!) for 50c to a $1 at the swipe and
swap. Soak the rusty ones in phosphoric acid first.

When sharpening them you just have to pay attention... Don's -first-
(and excellent) observations above are as good as any.

Just make sure of what effects you are making, in my case...
magnification is the key to success.

Alvin in AZ
ps- even an ice pick works better if you sharpen it up sharper
pps- screw drivers too... anything with an edge for that matter