pduck

Default Stronger Than Dawn Power Dissolver?

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Kim Grauballe" > wrote in message
> k...
> > Funny, it works a treat for me, could there be a difference in
> > concentration?
> >
> > Still, you have to be pretty desperate to work with a saturated soution of
> > lye, I dont think anything in my kitchen has ever become that dirty.
> >

> When you have a gas range, eventually all your cookware gets a varnish like
> coating. The burner grates and drip pans along with the grill parts also
> get pretty nasty. I don't like to scrub my cookware with abrasives because
> they scratch the surface and that accelerates the problem. While I don't
> think I am compulsive about maintenance, I do like to bring everything back
> to "like-new" condition periodically.

When I was a research chemist in the pharmaceutical business we would
use a solution of sodium hydroxide dissoved in ethanol (grain alchohol).
Soak the glassware overnight and it would be as clean as it could be.
Sodium hydroxide solutions will etch glass, so you wouldn't want to soak
for too long. BTW these solutions are stored in plastic, not glass
because of this.

CAUTION: I would NOT recommend using sodium hydroxide (lye) for cleaning
in the kitchen because of the extreme danger. You can develop very
serious burns without knowing it. You will not feel any pain until it is
too late. DO NOT USE!!

--
To respond by email, please remove nospam from my address.