Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Substitute for sake?

On Feb 20, 10:48�pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> > This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

> > see the answer when I look. *Can I substitute something for the sake?

> Considering the light flavor of sake and the more intense flavors of the
> other ingredients, just leave it out. *If you need more liquid, water will
> do. *I'll bet 1 out of 250 people may be able to tell any difference

Agreed... probaby not even one (1) can tell the difference. and if
someone really, really has a need to follow the recipe then any white
wine will work, even beer... adding wine is really just adding a bit
of sugar water... folks who insist one cook with expensive wines are
idiots, they'd get exactly the same results with cheap beer, or apple
juice... a big pinch of sugar in a pot of stew will give exactly the
same results as sloshing in a cup of $100 a bottle Champagne.