Vox Humana

Default Stronger Than Dawn Power Dissolver?

"Sheellah" > wrote in message
> Was just wondering if anyone knew the name of a cookware cleaner that

would
> have more muscle than the Dawn. Any stronger commercial ones out there

that can
> be bought in a gallon size, or less?

Oven cleaner is stronger than DPD. It works on non-reactive surfaces like
stainless steel, glass, ceramics, and Corningware. You can't use it on
aluminum or copper. The active ingredient in oven cleaner is lye (sodium
hydroxide). You can get lye in the supermarket on the shelf with the drain
cleaner. I have considered mixing up a solution and keeping it in a plastic
container so I can use it as a bath. I suspect that you could use it over
and over. Lye is very caustic, so be sure to wear skin and eye protection
and keep it away from children and pets.

I would be interested if anyone has any experience on using a lye solution
to clean cookware. My main interest would be for the drip pans and grates
on my stove. I only clean my cookware about two or three times a year, but
the stove could use a more frequent cleaning. Oven cleaner can get
expensive buy lye is cheap.