Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default TV dinners

Alan Moorman wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with the exchange diet, and I don't
> understand the OP's contention that it could kill a DM with
> carbs!
>
> Whatever could they mean?
>
> I find the exchange diet perfectly understandable, and used
> it for many years. . .

Any copy of the ADA Exchange Diet I've seen has a high carb count. Full
of bread and starch and starchy snacks.

You are the exception as most DM's I've talked to don't understand the
exchange diet at all. The majority of them were given a sheet of paper
with the exchange diet by their PCP and a scrip for some oral meds and
sent on their way. You don't see them posting here. They wouldn't know
that they need education.

Most of those who are treated as above can't comprehend the exchange
diet and switch to diet soft drinks and artificial sweetner in their
coffee. They haven't a clue about the effect of carbohydrates.

I personally know several DMs who struggled with the exchange diet,
threw it away and only were able to get back in control when they
learned to count carbs. It's much less threatening, much easier to
understand, and much easier to test for results. I just sent a friend of
mine a carb counting book and for the first time in years, she's got a
better understanding of how things effect her BG.

When the local medical center has its free Senior screening, the nurse
reading the results of the BG test tells the patient to "avoid sweets"
when counseling them. Nothing about avoiding carbs. Every day I am
finding recipes that say they are for "diabetics" because they
substitute a sweetener for sugar. No counting the starch in the flour,
milk, etc. I even cancelled a subscription to a recipe magazine because
after writing to them twice to please refrain from calling recipes
"diabetic" when they were high in carbs, they never responded.

That's the way it is in the real world. I'm glad your world is a better
place.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation