Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Crisco for seasoning cast-iron pans

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> Ed, referring to your making pork chops, what I am doing wrong is
> this: I cannot rinse out with or without a brush and no soap any pot
> that meat (and veggies) has cooked in. I would not put away other pot
> I own without washing it with soap, and hoping that high heat would be
> enough to destroy bacteria. (How high heat do you dry out your pots
> in the oven after washing them?).
> Thanks.
> Dee

If you are germaphobic, nothing I suggest will help much. The bacteria is
long gone during the cooking process. The pan is well over the temperatures
used in sterilization, pots are boiling.

I drain any leftover grease in the pan, then wash it under hot water using a
paper towel. If something is burnt onto the pan, I just leave it on the
stove to soak with some water in it and wash it later using the same method.
I'll sometimes use the sponge with the green scrubbie stuff on it.

Once washed, they are just left to dry. No added heat, no rust as they are
well seasoned. When you season a pan, the oil polymerizes and forms a
coating that protects the iron. You should have a nice smooth, black
coating both inside and outside of the cast iron. No one has ever gotten
sick from food poisoning in my house.