Melba's Jammin'

Default Condiments - Vinegar

In article > , "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Blair P.
> > Houghton > wrote:
> > (snip)
> > > (Most good) Salsa shouldn't contain vinegar.

> > If you're canning it, though, Blair, the tested and blessed recipes now
> > have some vinegar to guarantee a low enough pH level for safe waterbath
> > processing. Bob (zxcvbob) has made some and says it's not bad and
> > better than he expected. If I were going to can it, I'd use the
> > vinegar
> > and perhaps add a **little** baking soda at serving time to
> > de-acidify
> > it and make it not so tangy.
> > --
> > -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats
> > tab)

> I think if you want to skip the vinegar, freeze the salsa. Amen to
> vinegar
> for canning (like I'm gonna argue with Mrs Gedney). How would lime juice
> stack up though?
>
> Jack pH

Good question. Lately I've been seeing conflicting info about fresh vs.
bottled lemon juices. USDA stuff specifies bottled for its uniform acid
level; a Sure€Jell leaflet I have consistently states fresh lemon juice.
I suspect that fresh probably has better flavor but the USDA is always
going to be conservative and err on the side of consistency and
standardization. Lime juice? As far as acidity, I don't know the
particulars. I use it in my Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit because
I don't like the flavor that lemon juice adds. (That recipe, FWIW, also
uses citric acid -- long story skipped.)

Here's an excerpt from the U of NDak Extension Divn about making and
preserving salsa (paragraph breaks mine):

"Acid ingredients in canned salsa help preserve it. Additional acid --
bottled lemon juice, lime juice or vinegar -- is needed when canning
tomatoes because the natural acidity of tomatoes may be too low.
Low-acid ingredients in salsa, such as peppers and onions, also affect
the overall acidity level. Vinegar should be at least 5 percent acid.

You can substitute lemon or lime juice in a recipe calling for vinegar,
but do not substitute vinegar in a recipe calling for lemon or lime
juice.

Lemon or lime juice is more acidic than vinegar. Freshly squeezed lemon
or lime juice may be used in fresh salsa recipes but is not recommended
for use in canning recipes. "
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-10-03; check the PickleHats tab)