Vox Humana

Default Good stock pots for boiling water on ceramic top range

"LRod" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:04:17 GMT, Colin > wrote:
>
> >Peter,
> >
> >Your understanding of physics is slightly incorrect.
> >
> >Note that silver and copper are the best conductors, as they are very
> >dense, compared to aluminum, the third best conductor.

> I sucked at chemistry, but aren't they good conductors because of the
> free electrons they have, not density. Lead is much denser, for
> example, but is quite a poor conductor of heat.
>
> I found it interesting that you neglected to mention the heat
> conductivity of stainless steel, which is much, much poorer than
> aluminum. It always makes me wonder why so many people go gaga over
> stainless steel cookware.

A pan of 100% stainless isn't the best option. Stainless isn't reactive and
cleans well. It makes a great interior for cookware. When you combine it
with a better conductor like aluminum or copper you have the best of both
worlds. The cookware that people recommend here is always some form for
stainless that has a core of aluminum or copper or disk bonded to the
bottom. Most often the exterior is also stainless because it is durable and
can be washed in a dishwasher. All-Clad makes a line of cookware that has
an exterior of brushed aluminum and an interior of stainless.