Carnivore269

Default Condiments - Vinegar

(xyz) wrote:

> >> A "condiment" is a spicy or savory compliment to foods. You can make
> >> salad dressing and mayonnaise with lemon juice instead of vinegar, if
> >> that pleases you. But most relishes, chutneys, and savory sauces
> >> contain vinegar. For a reason, one assumes. I don't think there's any
> >> chance of becoming "pickled" by a pickle (or smoked from eating lox,
> >> or fried by a visit to KFC). Acidic ingredients (vinegar, wine,
> >> citrus) are rather too common to avoid.

> >Sometimes tho', vinigar is _not_ a flavor I want.... so you just have
> >to read the bottles, or learn to make your own stuff.

> I mis-spoke/mis-wrote "most...contain vinegar." I should have said
> most contain acidic ingredients -- vinegar, citrus, etc. I have no
> idea of the relative acidity of lemon juice as opposed to vinegar
> (Barb?), but if the OP didn't want to be pickled from the inside,
> he/she'd do well to stay away from lemonade, too. :-)
>
> What *does* the "5% acidity" label on a bottle of kitchen vinegar mean
> anyhow? 5% the strength of pure hydrochloric acid?

I do kinda wonder about the OP's concern for being "pickled". <G>
The human body is perfectly capable of handling acidic ingredients.
:-)
I just thought that I'd toss my favorite dressing out there for
review!

I've been in to meat salads lately. :-d

Some mornings when I have errands to run, I don't always have time to
cook so I'll hit HEB for their lemon pepper rotissery chickens! They
are sooooo good, but neither dad nor I like the breast meat much
straight as breast meat, no matter how it is cooked, tends to be a tad
bit dry... which is why I usually just use boneless/skinless thighs
for stir fry. But, I take the breast meat from the rotissery chickens
and make chicken salad out of it using dill relish, a bit more lemon
pepper, garlic powder, minced green onion, more dill relish and
MAYONAISA!!! :-)
The lime flavor in that dressing is OH so good in meat salads. I serve
that over a bed of baby spinach garnished on the side with fresh
avocado and tomatoe.

C.