Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Nabisco Ginger Snaps: Have They Changed?

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> I used to enjoy Nabisco Ginger Snaps but hadn't bought them
> for a few years. I recently bought a box, and I must say they
> are not very good. Have they changed? Is this a fluke? Does
> anyone have an ancient box of them, so we can compare
> ingredients? Unfortunately, I threw mine away!
>
> My observations:
>
> 1. They are paler than they used to be.
>
> 2. The top is slightly concave--and I don't remember that.
>
> 3. They are VERY hard--and not in the same way that they used
> to be. They are UNPLEASANTLY hard now, and they do not soften
> to a decent texture as you eat them.
>
> 4. They don't taste very gingery.

5. they no longer have that light sprinkling of sugar.

and, worst of all

6. They're not dropped and allowed to crackle naturally; they all have
the same "crackle" pattern stamped into the top.

And you're right; they're not as good as they used to be.

Now, go to the Nabisco web site and try to find out if they even admit
to making the things, much less have a place where you can tell them you
think the quality has gone down.

Isaac