Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
The Galloping Gourmand The Galloping Gourmand is offline

Default Tortas de Cangrejo (Crab Cakes)

On Jan 24, 9:17*am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> Wayne speaketh: *A note here.... put the crabs to cook live, otherwise the
> half hour cooking will kill that wonderful fresh crabe taste and texture.
> That's how you kill them. You boil them alive just like you would a lobster.
>
> Perejil... I'm not sure, but isn't that Parsley and not Cilantro
> (coreander)?

Yes, the recipe did say "perejil" instead of "cilantro" but cilantro is
a spicy Chinese parsley, as I recall.

Various substitutions could be made to the ingredients of that recipe
to make the crab cakes more Mexican. I also specified white corn meal
instead of yellow corn meal which was what the original cook probably
used.

If you substituted pork lard for the olive oil, the crab cakes would
wind up with
the toasted corn flavor so popular among the antojito fans.

And, various hotter chiles could be substituted for the red pepper.
Then the mustard and the worcestershire sauce wouldn't be needed.