Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby Gabby is offline

Default Chicken gizzard stew

Margaret Suran wrote:

/www.len.ro

> Thank you, this is even easier than my way. I clean the gizzards, but
> do not boil them, I just simmer them slowly in the caramelized diced
> onions, to which I add some chicken stock. I also put in some sliced
> carrots. I will try to do it as you posted, as that should be much
> faster. When I simmer the gizzards, it takes between one and two
> hours until they are tender enough and i have to stir them frequently.
> I will see whether I can find some in the market today.
>
> The pictures are great!

I rinse the gizzards and cut them in half. Brown lots of sliced onions
in olive oil, remove onions, add gizzards to oil and quickly brown
them. Return onions to pot, add chicken broth, summer savory, salt &
pepper. If I have some on hand, instead of salt, I add a tablespoon of
"Les herbes salées du Bas-du-Fleuve"**. Bring to a boil, then simmer
until the gizzards are tender. If I'm making this after work I usually
use the pressure cooker.

Once the gizzards are tender I add diced rutabagas, carrots and
potatoes and simmer until tender. Gorge.

** Herbes salées: recipe varies but this particular brand is a mixture
of finely chopped celery, onions, carrots, parsnips, parsley, chevil,
savory, leek, chives, spinach packed with coarse salt. When I was
growing up there was a always a crock of these in the cold room. Mom
or my aunt would make them with onions (fresh from the garden, stalks
included), celery, parsley and carrots. When I got my own place I'd
make a small batch every couple of months or so for soups & stews.

By the way, I heard on a CBC radio show last week that the FDA wouldn't
allow summer savory into the US. I didn't take it too seriously
because it was obvious that neither of the hosts of the show knew what
the herb was but now I wonder, does the FDA have a problem with summer
savory?

Gabby