Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger Bob Terwilliger is offline

Default Side dish for Prime Rib

smipam asked:

> Im making a prime rib and was looking for an interesting vegetable side
> dish to serve with it. any suggestions??

Roasted vegetables: Peel onions, carrots, small potatoes, and small turnips.
Cut into bite-sized chunks. Remove core, ribs, and seeds from a yellow bell
pepper or two and cut into bite-sized chunks. Put into a baking pan and
drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper and toss to
coat.

Scrub some beets well, drizzle with oil, and put into a separate pan.

Put both pans into the oven with the roast. (They don't have to be on the
same shelf.) Cook until vegetables are tender, then remove from the oven.
(The beets might take longer than the other vegetables. That's one reason
they're in a separate pan. The other reason is that you don't want them
bleeding all over the other vegetables.)

Cut the top and tip off the beets, then slip off the skins and cut into
wedges. Sprinkle the beets with coarse salt and pepper.

I'll also second the recommendation of creamed spinach.

I'd normally recommend Yorkshire pudding or a savory garlic bread pudding to
accompany prime rib, but they're not what I'd call VEGETABLE side dishes, so
maybe that's not what you want.

Bob