Posted to rec.food.cooking
Little Malice Little Malice is offline

Default Side dish for Prime Rib

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:

> "Little Malice" > wrote
>
> > My mother used to serve the following mushroom dish with prime rib,
> > along with baked potatoes. They'd probably go well with any beef
> > dish -- I still haven't had a chance to make them myself, but I
> > remember them as being excellent:
> >
> > Herb Buttered Mushrooms

> Oh, that would be great!

I've *got* to make them one of these days. But I promised Buddy
we'd try the Tolkien Society's mushrooms first (because they have
bacon in them). Here's that recipe, if anyone is interested -- I'm
going to make them with a dry roasted hunk o' beef sometime next
week:

Mrs M's Bacon and Mushrooms - Tolkien Society

* Button mushrooms - two good handfuls sliced for each person
* Bacon - 4 - 6 rashers of back bacon per person
* Onions - 2 or 3 sliced into rings (optional)
* Lots of fresh and very crusty bread OR
taters, boiled and sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley

Method:

If using taters with this meal prepare and start them cooking before
cooking bacon. Then, in a large frying pan fry bacon gently and let
fat run. Remove and keep warm in oven.

Add onion to bacon fat and cook until golden brown. Remove and keep
warm.

Add mushrooms to pan. You may need to add some butter or oil to pan
at this stage to help mushrooms cook. Do not cook too fast. When
mushrooms are softened and cooked (doesn't take very long) dish up
and serve with plenty of crusty bread to mop up the juices.

This recipe and other Middle Earth inspired fare are available at:

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/ed/recipes.html

--
Jani in WA