Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phil Phil is offline

Default Romertopf clay pot technique?

Victor Sack wrote:
> Phil > wrote:
>
> > No cup of wine or stock?

[snip]

> BTW, I forgot to mention that in my recipe the time is counted from the
> point of reaching the cooking temperature, thus adding some 10-15
> minutes to the total... sorry 'bout that.

Hi Victor and All,

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

I was able to cook my first successful Romertopf dish, a pork shoulder
roast.

I tried to error on the undercooked side as I didn't want a repeat of
charred meat. Used a much lower and longer cooking cycle; 350F (175C)
for two hours (covered) and 1/2 hour uncovered for a 3.8 lb (1.75 kg)
shoulder roast with bone in (40 min per pound).

I used 2 cups sliced orange peel to line the bottom pot and added half
an onion, a stalk of celery and a sliced carrot. Splashed on about 1/2
cup of cooking wine. Put the roast fat side up in a well soaked
medium-sized Classic Romertopf #111.

I placed that clay pot in the highest rack position in a standard
electric oven so that the lid would not come flying off due to
excessive steam pressure.

It came out just slightly undercooked but nicely browned, but a bit on
the dry side (this may because the cut of pork did not have much fat
marbling, just on the top surface). The sliced ends of the roast came
out just fine and had a nice contasting bitter-orange flavor.

-----

I believe that Romertopf recipes on their website result in overcooked
dishes. I'd highly recommend that someone, preferrably a German,
critically edit their English translations as far as their cooking
cycles.

I replyed to their website contact page with the
typical "no reply" in over 2 weeks.

Victor, thanks again for your personal recipe. You've made my day!
Regards, PLA