Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Romertopf clay pot technique?

Phil > wrote:

> No cup of wine or stock?

No, as there is enough steam from the Römertopf that has been soaked for
such a long time. Also, the vegetables and the Haxe itself provide
quite a bit of liquid. The result is a combination of steaming and
roasting (and by implication also stewing). However, if you wish to add
some more of the stewing component, by all means consider adding some
water, stock, or wine.

> Your time and temperature in the oven is
> radically different than the Roemertopf recipes.

Römertopf can be basically used the same way as any other pot,
temperature-wise, even for cooking at 200°F or less.

> >From my experience, I agree with you, about 325F, 163C for 15 min per

> pound, or fairly typical in open pan roasting of a 3lb, 1.4kg shank.
>
> Not 425F at 30 min per pound, which renders shanks over-cooked.

All that moisture in the Römertopf provides a lot of moderating
influence. Besides, that cup of wine makes its own moderating
contribution, I think. Also, remember that the total time in that
recipe assumes putting the Römertopf in the cold oven. I do not think
the Haxe will be overcooked.

BTW, I forgot to mention that in my recipe the time is counted from the
point of reaching the cooking temperature, thus adding some 10-15
minutes to the total... sorry 'bout that.

Victor