Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phil Phil is offline

Default Romertopf clay pot technique?

Victor Sack wrote:
> Phil > wrote:
>
> > Would like meat shanks in Romertopf. Have any favorite German style
> > recipes? Thanks, PLA

> There is a nice Kalbshaxe recipe at the Römertopf Web site. See the
> English translation at
> <http://www.roemertopf.de/english/rezepte_datenbank2.php?id=93>.

Hi Victor,

I did read your suggested recipe before; but I didn't try it since it
seemed to have more complex cooking steps than seem to be needed for my
first trials. I also read an epinion review authored by a
German-American; everthing she described was cooking in automatic by
Reco / Romertopf ;-)

The Kalbshaxe recipe used 1 cup white wine and comment to baste at 1/2
hr intervals while baking at 500F for 2 1/2 hrs. This is basteing 4
times in a very hot oven.

Isn't this a little excessive handling since I keep reading that the
clay pot is supposed to do this for you?

Interested in your personal experience cooking with shanks in a
Romertopf?

-----

I also read the interesting Roast Leg of Pork, Schweinshaxe, roasted
recipe which appears to leave out an important detail.

My questions: 1) what oven temperature? for the 2 hr bake with 1 cup of
stock and vinegar. Is no basteing required because pork shanks have
more fat?

http://www.roemertopf.de/english/rez...ank2.php?id=65

http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

-----

What sized Romertopf should you use to cook shanks? I have a Reco
medium-sized #111, which has a pot capacity of about 2 1/2 qts (l). I'm
wondering if this is too small and has less steaming capacity?

-----

Using the Schweinshaxe recipe as a model, I tried cooking buffalo
(American bison) shank and got a very dry, shrunken meat. I didn't use
any added liquid. Was this a critical mistake? I used 425F for 2 hours.

I read that the general rule of +100F for a clay pot when converting
traditional roasting recipes. But don't you think that a lower
temperature would be better, especially with buffalo, which cooks fast
like veal? Thanks, PLA