Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phil Phil is offline

Default Romertopf clay pot technique?

Victor Sack wrote:
> Phil > wrote:
>
> > After a couple hours, looked in oven and saw that lid was tilted off
> > the pot and the food was ruined. Obviously steam had blown the lid off.

[snip]

> This is certainly most unusual. Never happened with my Römertopf,
> anyway. Also, at the temperatures suggested, the amount of steam should

[snip]

Might of solved problem by raising pot in oven a notch. Using standard
30" Amana electric range and oven. After two 425F bake cycles with lid
about 1 inch from the top broiler element, have not experienced the lid
blown off by steam. Lining the pot with large collard leaves sure make
cleanup easier.

Would like meat shanks in Romertopf. Have any favorite German style
recipes? Thanks, PLA