Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phil Phil is offline

Default Romertopf clay pot technique?

On eBay, acquired a used medium-sized classic Romertopf, about 2 1/2
qt, 12" long by 6" tall. Soaked the clay dish before using, there are
no ceramic chips or cracks and appeared lightly used.
http://www.roemertopf.de/english/roe...ik/klassik.htm

After seasoning it with a hour long bake with a third filled with
water, half onion, chili, and spices at 350F. Thought that I heard a
ceramic clank but couldn't determine anything wrong. Then, I tried real
food.

After searching and reading many Romertopf recipes on this NG and the
Romertopf USA and German website. Noticed that this clay pot is a
"Reco" version that is made in Mexico. Also read that that the lid
needs to be centered on the pot so that steam can escape properly.

http://www.roemertopf.de/english/vor...roemertopf.htm

"The perfect technique RÖMERTOPF® offers the perfect technique for
cooking, making it easier to do. In time and with use, you will learn
to appreciate RÖMERTOPF® advantages. The wide plate guarantees a
solid foundation when cooking.

The pot and cover have a wide edge and lay securely on top of one
another which means that the cover can't fall off. The two - four
millimeter distance between the top and bottompieces is not a mistake
but rather serves to regulate the pressure in the closed pot which
allows excess steam to escape. The integrated grips are also practical.
The pot can be held securely and opened easily."

I tried it with a beef shank, onions, carrots, celery and spices. Added
no water because desired a roast-like finish. Baked from cold oven at
425F for 2 hours. Again after about an hour, I heard a loud clank, but
ignored it as thinking that it came from the outdoors.

After a couple hours, looked in oven and saw that lid was tilted off
the pot and the food was ruined. Obviously steam had blown the lid off.

Is this common and how to prevent? Did not read of any tip or instance
this happening. Or is this Mexican version a design defect and this is
the reason the original buyer got rid of it?
http://www.claybakers.org/romertopf.html Regards, PLA