PENMART01

Default Condiments - Vinegar

Blair P. Houghton > writes:

>xyz > wrote:
>>Are there any condiments that aren't made with vinegar? It seems like
>>everything I look at contains vinegar - ketchup, mayonnaise, salad
>>dressing. I prefer not to be pickled - at least while I'm still
>>alive.

Depends on your definition of condiment... my favorite condiment is a savory
celery stick, stuck in a particular red vodka potable.... alchohol is an
excellent preservative, hic.

>(Most good) Salsa shouldn't contain vinegar.

Purely opinion ("good"), NOT fact.

>Soy sauce.
>Horseradish.

Prepared horseradish contains vinegar.

There are many condiments that are *preserved* with just salt, 'bud', rather
than the combination of salt and vinegar, but typically both brine and acid is
used (sometimes the acid is citrus- ascorbic acid) or there would need to be
more salt than is palatable in order to preserve so rinsing away a goodly
portion of the salt would be necessary before use. Some condiments are used
fresh; lemon/lime, or dried; cayenne. Grated hard cheese is indeed a
condiment... as are many dried herbs, fresh herbs too. Even potato chips and
pretzels can qualify as condiments. A kosher pickle contains no vinegar...
caviar neither. There are literally thousands of examples, I wont even go into
those condimants preserved with just sugar, even sugar itself, honey chile

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon