Posted to rec.food.baking
yetanotherBob yetanotherBob is offline

Default Why lower temps for non-stick pans?

In article >, "Eddie G"
> says...
> Hi,
>
> I bought a cake mix and noticed that the baking instructions were 30 mins at
> 350 degrees. It then said, "For darker or non-stick pans, bake at 325
> degrees for 41-44 minutes." I've not seen this before.
>
> Why do non-stick pans require a lower temperature for longer? What happens
> if you don't adhere to those instructions? What is considered to be a
> "darker pan?"
>
> I usually bake from scratch and have never seen this before. I remember
> there used to be different instructions for glass vs. metal pans, but never
> for non-stick and darker pans.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Michelle

I think the assumption is that pans that are dark or "non-stick" are
coated with something, with everything else assumed to be bare metal of
some sort. The manufacturer has probably determined through testing
that the heat transfer characteristics of a coated pan vs. bare metal
are different enough to warrant the different times and temps, to make
sure the middle of the cake is done before the bottom and sides become
overdone.

Bob