Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] is offline

Default milk in meatloaf?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Scott" > wrote in message
>
>>why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
>>what's the difference between using milk and water?
>>

>>Thanks
>>Scott

> Never heard of using either one. Can you provide the whole recipe?

Often times recipes call for soaking dry bread in milk and then
squeezing it dry before adding it to the meat mix, IMO this adds nothing
to the flavour, i have also stopped adding a raw egg to the mix, but
have started adding pureed cabbage to it.

I like to use a good meat stock to the mix to make it fairly soupy,
allowing it to become very well mixed, but this results in a very fine
grained almost pate like meat loaf, which i like but many people prefer
a "chunkier" meat loaf.

I like the fined grained meat loaf so it can be sliced thin for meat
loaf sandwiches.
--
JL