Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phred Phred is offline

Default Roast Chicken - does free range taste any better

In article >, Gareth > wrote:
>Does a free range corn fed chicken actually taste any better than a
>cheap chicken when roasted, or is it purely a matter of animal welfare?
>
> From my limited experience, I can't really tell the difference, but I
>would be interested in what other people think.

Free range chooks taste a *lot* better, but mostly because back in the
days when they were all you had, [grand-]mothers knew how to cook 'em!
(Nothing beats a chook roasted in a brown paper bag in a wood-fired
oven -- especially when it was only decapitated earlier on Sunday
morning to commence its preparation for a special Sunday dinner. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID