Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Default User Default User is offline

Default Boston Butt on Weber

wrote:

> I have read many recipes and posts from the board but have a question
> as I seen to be getting some conflicting opinions.
>
> I am going to smoke a 6lbs boston butt on a Weber kettle this weekend.
> I want to be able to slice it when I am done, not pulled and chopped.
> I am looking to get to an internal temp of about 170 (I would prefer
> 160 but others are afraid that is too low). I hope to keep the grill
> temp between 200 and 250. It will be tough to be more accurate with a
> Weber kettle.
>
> Most advice says 45 minutes per pound. For 6 lbs I am looking at
> three hours. However, a bunch of what I read says it I should look
> at some where around double that time or more.
>
> Is the longer time going to end up in a much higher internal temp and
> therefore more suitable for pulling it off the bone and having pulled
> pork?
>
> I have no problem waiting till the internal temp is right but I am
> trying to plan the finish time so we know when to eat. I don't want
> to start too early or too late.

I used to use the Kettle as my main smoker in the past (WSM now).
There's no way you'll get it done in three based on my prior
experience. One reason is that with the Kettle, every time you have to
add charcoal or smoke wood, you have to lift the lid, losing all the
hot air. Also, if you don't have one with "trap-door" grill, you
usually have to take the whole grill and meat off to get at the piles.

You can try to feed wood or charcoal in through the handles areas, but
I never found to be satisfactory, plus I prefer not to have the handles
over the hot part.

I have used the Minion Method for this device with some success.
However, you're limited in how much unburned charcoal you can
reasonably start with.

Of course, you can go hotter, which is pretty easy to do in the Kettle,
and that will get you done sooner.

Brian

won't shut up.
-- Dorothy Gambrell (